Friday, April 13, 2012


Sometimes, chickens are just chickens, no matter how much a true girl lover imagines them to be these intelligent, personality filled creatures. My big girls are usually in their coop/yard during the day while I am at school, but this morning, it was a crisp bright spring morning, with sunshine and warmish temps in the forecast, so I thought I'd leave them outside to play all day long.
When I got home from school, Red came noseying out to meet me, 'bock bock bock'. Hawkie lingered in the tall weeds beside the driveway, foraging for bugs. I didn't see Blackie right away, but I could hear her. A panicked, "SQWACK, SQUAWK, SQWACK, SQUAWK!!!" echoed throughout the yard. It didn't take but a few seconds to locate here, under the front of the plow truck. Initially, I thought how funny she looked and how she was making a statement announcing that she was THE BOSS from behind this frame which holds the snow plow on the front of my truck. But as I was taking her picture, and she was frantically bobbing her head from side to side, yelling, "SQWACK, SQUAWK, SQWACK, SQUAWK!!" I realized she could not get herself out of the huge space between the frame where she'd gotten herself. (Now mind you, a small cow could fit in that space.... but she somehow couldn't find her way out!) Laughing uncontrollably, I pushed her head down and out she popped, racing to the coop, still screaming, "SQWACK, SQUAWK, SQWACK, SQUAWK!!!"
Yeppers, sometimes, a chicken is just a chicken....

No comments:

Post a Comment